SKUTT – KM1227 – 12 SIDED ELECTRIC PROGRAMMABLE KILN (3″ FIREBRICK)
Please note that all kilns are currently BUILT TO ORDER ONLY and are not stocked items. Current lead times for SKUTT is 4 months, current lead time for CONEART is 6 months. We require a 25% deposit on all kiln orders to get your order in queue. Once your kiln is built we will arrange pickup, delivery or freight options with you.
Look in almost any classroom or Contemporary Studio and you will find a KM1227-3. It is hands down the most popular low fire production kiln on the market. With the largest diameter chamber size of our round top loading kilns, it can pump out volume and size!
Sophisticated, Yet Easy to Use
- Write your own firing programs with up to 32 Segments using Ramp and Hold. Now you can store up to 12 programs.
- … or use the tried and true factory set programs in ConeFire Mode
- Built in Diagnostics give you or our technicians the ability to diagnose kiln problems with just a few button presses.
- New Safety Features help prevent accidental starts and overfires.
- New software keeps track of your Firing Costs and the Number of Firings
- Fuse Glass, Slow cool Cone 6 Glazes, Grow Crystals…whatever you want to program this controller can handle.
- …and so much more. Click Here to see the whole story.
KMT-KilnMaster Touchscreen Upgrade Option
- Like Your Smartphone, the new KMT controller navigates with just a touch of a finger and allows us to guide you through programming with full sentences, helpful icons, and dynamic navigation.
- Built-in WiFi makes it possible to download any software feature upgrades for free so it is like having a new Kiln Controller for the life of the kiln.
- A Free App works in conjunction with the WiFi and allows you to monitor your kiln temperature and status from your smartphone. Think how comforting it will be not to get out of bed to be sure your kiln shut off as expected.
- The Hinged Controller allows you to move the controller up and down to an angle that is comfortable for you to program. No more getting on your hands and knees. After programming you can push it back down so it is out of your way and easy to view from across the room.
- It has the Same Functions you have come to know and love from the standard KilnMaster Controller Plus More!
Current Sensing Technology
Skutt is one of the few brands that installs a Current Sensor in every KilnMaster Kiln. This allows you to read the Amperage of each section of the kiln as well as the Voltage and Voltage Under Load.
Now with the touch of a few buttons you can give those readings over the phone to your kiln repair technician so they can troubleshoot the problem and make sure they have the correct parts when they come out for the repair. This Saves Time and Money.
Prior to the use of these current sensors someone would have to come to your house and test the amperage and voltage inside the control box with live wires exposed. This system is Much Safer.
Sectional Design is a good idea on so many levels.
Imagine trying to move a kiln into the basement or through a narrow door without being able to break it down into sections.
No more standing on your head in the kiln to replace those bottom elements or removing every brick in the kiln to get to the one you want to replace. Just remove the control box, unhook the buckles and place the section you want to work on on a table.
We hope nothing really bad happens to your kiln … but … if it does, isn’t nice to know you can replace one bad section instead of the whole kiln?
The Lid Lifter
- Standard on all 10 and 12 sided ceramic kilns
- Lift 100lbs with ease!
- All stainless construction.
- Easy and safe to tension.
A large amount of the heat you lose in your kiln passes to through the lid and slab of your kiln. To compensate for this, Skutt directs more heat to these areas when they design the elements. The fact that we have twice the element grooves in our kilns gives us more design flexibility than some of our competitors.
It also gives you more loading options since it is always recommended to have at least one element radiating between each layer of shelves. Oh and by the way, twice the grooves means you get twice the amount of element wire, which means each element doesn’t have to work as hard, which means longer element life! Whew!
APM Element Upgrade
Let’s start first by saying that APM ELEMENTS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE. APM Elements are made of almost exactly the same material as our regular elements, the difference is how they are made. With APM elements they grind up the extruded material and then re-melt it and extrude it again. What this does is give it more dimensional stability (it doesn’t sag or creep as easily) at high temperatures.
Elements are more likely to sag and creep when you are firing to, and holding at high temperatures. This can significantly reduce their effective life. So, if you are working with Crystal glazes or are consistently firing to Cone 10 you will be very pleased with the added life of the elements. If you are mostly low firing (Cone 04) you will not experience any benefit.
- Exposed Thermocouple equals faster reaction time and higher accuracy.
- Inexpensive, plus we give you an extra one when you buy your kiln.
- Easy and quick to replace.
- Type S (Platinum) Upgrades Available.
TYPE S Thermocouple Upgrade
Most all of the kilns that leave are factory are equipped with a Type K thermocouple. Type K thermocouples are accurate and inexpensive. The down side to Type K thermocouples is that they wear out and they wear out faster when exposed to extreme conditions. Type S thermocouples can virtually last forever. The reason for this is that they are made of platinum which does not degrade under most atmospheres and has an extremely high melting point. This leads us to one of their downsides, they are expensive…BECAUSE THEY ARE MADE OF PLATINUM!!!
- Unlike most warranties, ours covers Parts AND Labor.
- Never Pro-Rated.
- Serviced by the most extensive, knowledgeable and talented distributor network in the industry.
- Backed by a company whose mission statement is “We help you make great things”. When your kiln is down, you can’t make great things.
|MODEL||PHASE||VOLTS||AMPS||WATTS||TEMP (F)||CUBIC FT||OPENING (IN)||DEPTH (IN)||WIRE AWG||NEMA RECEPTACLE||SHIP DIMS. (IN)||*SHIP WT. (LBS)|
|Download a KM-1227 3 Inch Brick 1 Phase 240 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a KM-1227 3 Inch Brick 1 Phase 208 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a KM-1227 3 Inch Brick 3 Phase 240 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|Download a KM-1227 3 Inch Brick 3 Phase 208 Volts Product Spec Sheet|
|KM-1227||1||240||48||11520||Cone 8, 2300 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||6||6-50||42 x 45 x 44||400|
|KM-1227||1||208||48||9984||Cone 5, 2185 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||6||6-50||42 x 45 x 44||400|
|KM-1227||3||240||29.3||11520||Cone 8, 2300 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||8||15-50||42 x 45 x 44||400|
|KM-1227||3||208||31.7||11000||Cone 8, 2300 F||9.9||28.00 x 28.00||27||8||15-50||42 x 45 x 44||400|
Skutt Kilns should arrive fully assembled.
Packed with the kiln you will find the following items:
- Kiln Stand
- Instructional Video
- Operating Manual
- Stand Feet
- Extra Thermocouple (unless Type S)
- Warranty Card
- Peep Plugs – attached to the kiln stand, enough to fill each peephole on your particular model.