SKUTT – ENVIROVENT 2
What Is The EnviroVent 2
The EnviroVent 2 is what is known as a Downdraft Vent. Downdraft vents actively remove fumes from your kiln before they can enter the room and vent them outside keeping your studio free of smell. It works by using a wall mounted fan to draw a very small amount of air through holes drilled in the slab (floor). The amount of air drawn is determined by the number and size of the holes drilled. Holes are also drilled in the lid in a specific pattern designed to direct the air in a way that does not affect your ware.
These holes can be drilled in the factory when you order your kiln or easily drilled in your classroom or studio simply by following the instructions in the manual. We even provide you with the drill bits!
The Skutt EnviroVent was the very first commercially available downdraft venting system on the market, introduced in 1987. To get a more complete understanding of how the EnviroVent works watch the video by clicking on the link below.
Why You Should Want An EnviroVent 2
- Removes fumes, odors and vapors. Particularly useful when firing materials such as metallics, and high sulfur clays, which can emit strong odors
- Improves firing consistency. The vent also helps to prevent different color glazes from migrating. You can now fire greens and reds on the same shelf with excellent results.
- Fits popular kilns. The EnviroVent 2 fits Skutt 16, 12, 10, and 8-sided kilns as well as many other kiln brands.
- Fits popular kilns. The EnviroVent 2 has a spring-loaded collection cup that keeps a tight seal on the kiln as it expands and contracts without stressing the bottom slab.
- Ideal for automatic kilns. The EnviroVent 2 makes firing kilns such as the Skutt KM series much more convenient. There’s no lid propping. Just put plugs in all the peepholes and press start.
- Never Pro-Rated.
- Serviced by the most extensive, knowledgeable and talented distributor network in the industry.
- Backed by a company whose mission statement is “We help you make great things”. When your kiln is down, you can’t make great things.
Downdraft Vs Overhead
There is nothing inherently wrong with overhead venting. It does a great job of removing heat from the room and it will get rid of the majority of fumes. The problem is that many people make false assumptions (sometimes induced through advertising) about the true function and capabilities of overhead vents marketed for kilns.
Other Vent System Are Not UL Listed
The Skutt EnviroVent2 is the only UL listed venting system available on the market today. Other vents may use UL parts, but they are not UL listed because they have not been tested with a kiln. Your insurance company will like this!
Not Engineered to Remove Heat
It is true that any overhead vent will remove heat from the room, how much still needs to be determined by a qualified HVAC technician. You may find that it is cheaper to remove the heat through existing ventilation.Either way, you still need to pay someone to make these calculations based on the size of the room, the insulation and the BTUs that will be produced by the kiln.
Not 100% of the Fumes
The Envirovent creates a negative pressure system to remove the fumes before they enter into the room. An overhead vent needs to wait until they escape from the kiln to collect them.
Does Not Improve Chamber Atmosphere
Overhead vents do nothing to improve the atmosphere in the kiln which is one of the most beneficial outcomes of kiln venting. And as much as the overhead guys would like to make you believe that downdraft vents are “expensive to fire” because they bring in cool air and exhaust warm air, it is not true. The energy use is affected by less than 1%. in fact it is more efficient to vent with a downdraft because you completely seal the kiln unlike an overhead vent where it is necessary to leave the top peep out and prop the lid to 1000 F.
Ease Of Installation
The EnviroVent2 is easy to install whether you order it with your kiln or decide to add it later. You don’t even need to take it off the stand. Don’t believe us? Watch the video below or download the EnviroVent2 Installation Manual.